Wednesday, 12 August 2009

A paper bag!!

One of my friend's is going through a rough time as her father has just been admitted into a hospice to die. He has had cancer for nearly a year and sadly is losing the battle with it. I have decorated this paper bag to hold a book, chocolate and a book mark for her - something to take with her when she goes to sit with him.
I used this week's Papertake Weekly sketch, WOJ's colour challenge (pink and brown) and the Stamp with Simon challenge Anything but a card. I have kept the layout simple - no flowers. Here's the back (posh side) of the bag. I have watercoloured Willow and cut her out using nesties. I threaded organza pink ribbon through the raffia to act as fastener, and added brown ribbon to the top.
The other side looks like this ...

I watercoloured Melinda and used the same nesties to cut her out. The layout is the same as the back and I added an extra panel of the dp. The bag ties with the ribbon from both pieces of organza ribbon.
Here's how I did it ...
The paper bag! I folded the top over and trimmed a tiny bit off to get rid of the rough edge.
On the back I added dp and the raffia ribbon which goes over the fold and fastens under the dp on the flap.
On the front of the bag I repeated the dp and raffia

Here's how it looks at the top where the flap goes.

And it fastens like this.

Simples!!!!
Now to fill it with the goodies and go and visit.
Recipe:
Stamp(s): WoJ Melinda Reading a book; Willow with umbrella
Colouring Media: Distress inks
Papers: MME Every day tango
Embellishments: raffia, ribbon from stash

21 comments:

Jill said...

Hi Cathy your little gift bag is gorgeous and I'm sure your friend will appriecate the thought, I lost my dad to cancer at 52 and it's an awful thing to watch someone go through. Re the images, I think they are from Wendy (secret crafter) I got some too hugs Jill xx

Jill said...

woops Cathy I forgot to say there's an award for you over at my blog hugs Jill xx

Lilacanglia said...

I am sorry to hear about your friends sad news, my prayers are with them,
This bag is beautiful, and she will be able to keep it as a fond keepsake I hope,
Hugs
Angie

Karen said...

Aaaawwww your friend will love it am sure. It's gotjus.

Love Karen x

dolcreations said...

I know your friend will truely appreciate this. You have put so much thought into this and it turned out so beautifully. Very special gift to give!
Christine

Helen said...

A beautiful gift Cathy...I'm sure your friend will really appreciate it :0)
Helen x

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

This is an adorable bag! It should be reserved for something very special. The polka dot paper goes perfectly with the image!

Thanks so much for entering the Simon Says Stamp Challenge!

<3,
Steph

debby4000 said...

What a gorgeous gift bag and such a thoughtful gift.
luv
Debby

Riet said...

Ohhh wowww Cathy,what beautiful,i love the images and colours.
So gorgeous papers.

Hugs Riet.x

Linanna DESIGNS said...

Hello Cathy, wow what a gorgeous gift bag, you've used one of my favourite whiff of joy images and my favourite colour combinations. What a lucky friend to receive this she will appreciate your kind thoughts! have a lovely evening hunny hugs Linda x

Sarah said...

You are so very thoughtful to make this for your friend, it is beautiful x

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT!! love what you did with the one you made me too!

I think your friend will really appriecate the time and effort you have put in to make her this gift!

I hope that her father will be comfortable in his time at the hospice,send my best wishes.

Denise Clark said...

Prayers for your friend...sorry to hear such sad news.

Your bag is so pretty and such a great idea! The images are sweet and will bring a smile. You are so thoughtful to do this for your friend!

Giò said...

Absolutely delicious creation. Hugs Giò

Rach said...

a gorgeous bag Cathy, so pretty with lovely details. What a thoughtful gift to give your friend.
thank you for joining us at the whiff of joy challenge blog. hugs rachxx

Lori said...

Very pretty bag. Love the color combo. I'm so sorry for the sad circumstances of your friend.

Jo Nevill said...

Oh, that is really sad but what a lovely thought to give your friend this gorgeous present. It's absolutely stunning.

Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Challenge this week.

Jo and the SSC DT x

Tracey said...

Gorgeous bag Cathy I'm sure your friend will really appreciate it :-)

Hugs
Tracey
x

Karen O said...

Gorgeous bag, and a beautifull gift. Love the colours and the image.
Hugs, Karen

Unknown said...

great project! love the colour combo! Thanks for entering the Simon Says Stamp challenge!

Dawny P said...

Ohh your poor friend - hope all is well there xxx

This is just wonderful - a fabulous gift bag chick. I am so sorry that I'm late leaving a comment but my computer has been seriously naughty so I am trying to catch up. But thank you for joining us at PTW and I love your take on the sketch. Hugs, Dawny xxx