Thursday, 25 April 2013

Colouring Clara from Visible Image Stamps 1

 I am absolutely in love with Clara, the latest character stamp from Visible Image Stamps.


How gorgeous is she, all sassy and steampunky :)
We were having a conversation in the DT group about coluring her and I offered to do a tutorial to show how I coloured her hat, as larger white spaces can be scary.  Since I was doing the hat, I also did photos for how I colourd all of her so over the next few days I am going to share with you how I coloured Clara. I am no expert by the way!!

I like to colour from darkest to lightest, its personal preference, but I find I get a better effect this way.  My preferred cardstock is Diamond White from the Paperterie, and for my stamped images I use 300msg.

The first thing I do is decide where the light source is coming from, and I usually either go for top left or right as I find this easiest. 
So for this image the light is coming from the top left hand corner as I look at it.

OK for the hat I used aubergine, plum and amethyst promarkers.

Starting with the aubergine I coloured in a section of the hat that would be in the darkest shade.

Then I went over the aubergine and into the white space with the plum.

Then I went back in with the aubergine and darkened up the shaded area more.

 Next I went over the coloured area and into the white space using plum.

Finally I went over all the coloured area and the white space with amethyst.  I needed to work the amethyst into the plum quite well to make sure it was blended properly.

 Having done the top of the hat I coloured the band.  I like to work in small sections, the ink stays wetter and blends better I think.

I repeated the process - starting with the aubergine and going into the darkest parts of the band.
 

Then going over the aubergine and into the white space with the plum.

Then I reapplied the aubergine in the darkest parts ...

before adding more plum.

Finally I blended it all together using the amethyst.

Tomorrow I will be back with how I coloured her coat.

Supplies
Colouring medium: promarkers 
Colours: aubergine, plum and amethyst

 

4 comments:

Ali said...

Loving this - thanks for the tutorial xx

mixamatoasties said...

Brilliant! I need to get her.

Susan xx

Unknown said...

Fab Pinkie, very helpful and your colouring is AWESOME! Xx

Unknown said...

Fab Ponkie and thank you, very helpful and your colouring is AWESOME! Xx