So this is the finished card - I have done a more detailed tutorial, using my WOJ GDT challenge card which is later on in this post. I would have done it for this card but the light was so bad the photos haven't come out well.

I used Girl and Birdhouse for the project, as I wanted to create the illusion of a photograph. I coloured the image in distress inks and distressed it. I then used the cracked glass technique (tutorial further down) and rubbed brown ink into the cracks. I distressed the papers and added organza ribbon. I used my ribbon punch to make holes to thread the ribbon through the image.
Prima flowers, brads and spacers, and scrolls cut using a sizzix die complete the card.
This is the coloured image ...
and after the heat embossing ...The WOJ challenge is a guest design team call, following one of Katharina's sketches. I made this card when the challenge was posted, but have held off entering until the Sugar Sugar project was announced, so as not to spoil that challenge.

I have used Willow with floral wreath and masked her onto the stump. I coloured her using distress inks and distressed the edges. I then applied the cracked glass technique to the image. The dp are BG Mellow and I used lace and organza ribbon for parts of the sketch. I added flowers and swirls to complete the card.
OK so on to the tutorial for how to do Cracked glass...
1. colour your image as normal, and cut out to desired shape/size
2. Cover the image in Versamark or similar, and clear embossing powder. Heat the powder until melted. Repeat the inking and embossing until you have clear,smooth glaze. I found it worked best to leave the image to cool between each embossing, and that about 5 layers was enough to get a smooth glaze.
3. Put in the freezer and leave it until it is cold. As soon as you get it out crack the image in different place - the glaze will split like cracked glaze. I was careful to avoid the face area.(I did find if I left the image for a few minutes and then tried to crack it it didn't work, so crack it immediately)
4. Finally rub brown ink into the cracks and clean off to create a vintage look.
Its really that easy ... go on have a play and join in the Sugar Sugar project this month.
4. Finally rub brown ink into the cracks and clean off to create a vintage look.
Its really that easy ... go on have a play and join in the Sugar Sugar project this month.Recipe:
Stamp(s): Sugar Nellie Girl and Birdhouse; WOJ Willow sitting with floral wreath
Colouring Media: distress inks
Papers: Basic Grey Mellow; unknown; cardstock from stash
Embellishments: prima flowers; charms, spacers, brads, lace and ribbon from stash; sizzix swirl
Stamp(s): Sugar Nellie Girl and Birdhouse; WOJ Willow sitting with floral wreath
Colouring Media: distress inks
Papers: Basic Grey Mellow; unknown; cardstock from stash
Embellishments: prima flowers; charms, spacers, brads, lace and ribbon from stash; sizzix swirl



14 comments:
Wonderful work Cathy! Glad you liked the cracked glass technique. Your cards look wondeful. Good luck with the GDT call for WOJ!!
Judy xx
AWESOME work Cathy! They look brilliant!
Sammi
xxx
Gorgeous Cathy, love what you have done with both, good luck with the WoJ call.
Marlene x
Fab cards Cathy! Must give this technique a go! Congrats on being a guest 'Sweetie'!
Helen x
aahhh thats sooo gorjus.
love karen xxx
Your cards are beautiful Cathy! Good luck with the DT call. :)
Stunning card, good luck in the challenge.
Erin x
Beautiful work Cathy I love the delicate colouring now going to look for your tutorial on cracked glass - it looks great xx
Wow Cathy wonderful cards love how you have coloured and aged the images gives a really good effect!!! The Cracked glass effect is stunning!!!
These are both works of art hunny, i love them both equally. Such gorgeous images coloured perfectly and matched with stunning papers! hope your having a good weekend, hugs Linda x
Gorgeous cracked glass Cathy! Love what you have done with both of these cards!! Love the distressing and the colors that you have used! Good luck with the DT call! :)Kathy
Fabulous cards Cathy - love the cracked glass effect - not done it in ages.
Hi Honey!
So sorry for the late comment! I don't seem to have enough hours in the day at the moment!
Thanks so much for being our guest Sweetie, I really loved this, it looks stunning! Really effective!
Good luck with the GDT too!
Luv'n'Hugs
Gayle x
Wow! Sounds stunning! Love it.
Regards,
Picture colouring
Post a Comment